Author Topic: A Brief History Of Benitez - Great Article  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
A Brief History Of Benitez - Great Article
« on: May 27, 2004, 03:53:07 pm »
Simon Talbot in Madrid
Thursday May 27, 2004
The Guardian

Only 25% of Valencia supporters believe that their coach Rafael Benítez should have a street named in his honour, according to an opinion poll on a website devoted to the club, which hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement. Until you see the other answers.
The biggest sector, 44%, said that Benítez should, in fact, have two named after him.

When Benítez arrived at Mestalla, however, he was hardly welcomed with open arms. A virtual unknown who had never played professional football, few considered him talented or experienced enough for the job. His promotions with Extremadura and Tenerife counted for little.

Yet Javier Subirats, then Valencia's technical director, had seen a quality in Benítez and battled with the board to bring the Madrileño to the club. A PE teacher who had studied coaching techniques, Benítez is methodical and after coaching Real Madrid B with Vicente del Bosque he had spells at Valladolid and Osasuna before Extremadura.

He then took a sabbatical in 1999-2000 to study training methods at Manchester United and in Italy. A keen advocate of English football - not least the control granted by clubs to their coaches - and a firm admirer of the former Italy manager Arrigo Sacchi, he proved these lessons extremely valuable.

Benítez returned to Spain and led Tenerife to the top flight but Valencia was an altogether different challenge, a club at war with itself, financially crippled and emotionally shattered after successive European Cup final defeats. Their standard-bearing midfielder Gaizka Mendieta had just left for Lazio, moreover.

And yet Benítez's appointment vindicated Subirats. Valencia won an utterly unexpected league title in his first season after a 31-year wait - only the fifth in the club's history. They were superbly organised, mentally tough and physically immense.

It was no fluke either. This season, Benítez's third, has seen them win the Uefa Cup and regain the title from Real Madrid with three weeks to spare. Aggressive, fast, synchronised and defensively solid, the team have been peerless. Benítez has become Valencia's most successful manager. Ever.

That he has achieved what he has at a club where the board has not backed him as it should is all the more amazing. His position is forever undermined as the shareholders snipe at one another - hidden agendas are rarely hidden for long.

Benítez has achieved all this despite the fact that he does not get on with the sporting director Jesús García Pitarch either, the man who signs players. It is that urge to control his own destiny, to sign men he needs rather than those others want, which has apparently pushed the coach into the arms of England.

And his judgment is sound: only two players came to Valencia on his say-so - Curro Torres and this season's top scorer Mista, both from his old club Tenerife - and their value has been indisputable.

Benítez's role can hardly be overstated. An obsessive student of the game, dedicated and meticulous, he is a such a perfectionist that it drives his backroom staff mad. Eight cameras linked to a specially created computer programme provide data on his players' every move on the pitch.

And Benítez has managed his squad superbly, rotating cleverly. The day Valencia won the title at Sevilla they had Rubén Baraja and Pablo Aimar on the bench yet they were hardly missed. There may not be any galacticos there but Benítez has them playing like stars.

"We are a TEAM, with capital letters," he says. What his modesty prevents him from adding is that he is the man responsible. The feeling remains that some of the Valencia side would look rather ordinary under a different coach, and the talented players look even better with him.

Benítez CV

April 16, 1960 Born Madrid

1986 Becomes coach of Castilla B Juvenil

1989-95 Holds various coaching roles at Real Madrid

1998 Takes Extremadura into the Primera División

2001 Leads Tenerife into the Primera División.

2002 Guides Valencia to first league title since 1971

2004 Wins league and Uefa Cup double

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like the man for the job, eh?

Oh, sorry if this has been printed before. Looked around but didn't see it.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Brief History Of Benitez - Great Article
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 04:20:11 pm »
Haven't seen that before mate, and was unaware of a lot of that.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 04:24:31 pm »
Haven't seen that before mate, and was unaware of a lot of that.

Same here, both him and Mourinho sound excellent young coaches. Hope we get one or the other!

Imagine how we'll all feel when McClaren gets it.   :P
Bill Shankly

77 78 81 84 05 19

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 04:25:38 pm »
get him get him get him get him get him!!!
Momo Is Boss

Offline locolouie

• Main Stander
  • Till Stevie leaves..
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 04:26:58 pm »
VALENCIA COACH Rafael Benitez will become the next manager of Liverpool Football Club. After days of speculation the ECHO can reveal he is the board's number one target - and the Reds expect to land their man.

Loco

Offline GabyAlonso

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 04:50:26 pm »
just reinforces how good he really is and why the board want him.  I dont think its a case of choosing benitez thatll be the problem, itll b eactually getting him thatll be the challenge. Fingers crossed though.
I was made for Liverpool, and Liverpool was made for me.

Offline locolouie

• Main Stander
  • Till Stevie leaves..
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 04:52:08 pm »
Toes crossed too...  ;D

Loco

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 06:43:04 pm »
wasent mourinho a former pe teacher as well ?  ;D
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 07:16:04 pm »
we got rid of a former teacher and no we are gaining a teacher we could start a school  ;D i wonder why there are so many teachers coming through as managers that havnt really played to a good standard  ???
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 07:23:45 pm »
Benítez's role can hardly be overstated. An obsessive student of the game, dedicated and meticulous, he is a such a perfectionist that it drives his backroom staff mad. Eight cameras linked to a specially created computer programme provide data on his players' every move on the pitch.

another Championship Manager Genius.  ::)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 09:48:27 pm »
He's a Spanish Houllier (circa 2000-2002 model).

GH used to play a far more obvious pressing game (though never quite with the efficiency of Benitez's Valencia) and rotated at will with success. Losing key players to the system like Babbel and Berger affected our form coupled with an attempt to move to a more attacking system with players who haven't lived up to their promise.

If Benitez does come in I'd expect a league season like 2001-02.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Zico73

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 10:08:07 pm »

GH used to play a far more obvious pressing game (though never quite with the efficiency of Benitez's Valencia) and rotated at will with success. Losing key players to the system like Babbel and Berger affected our form coupled with an attempt to move to a more attacking system with players who haven't lived up to their promise.

If Benitez does come in I'd expect a league season like 2001-02.

But with more flair and creativity next season I guess comparing to the team of 2001-02.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 10:09:53 pm by Zico73 »
--
"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage" - Rafael Benitez

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 10:12:35 pm »
Get in!  Sign him up!
Blame Canada!

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 10:24:56 pm »
I am the bloke in the fast show...

I just want this to be over..I've said that Mourinho, O'Neill, Curbishley and now this bloke are all absolutely the right one for the job.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline wellsimple

• The secret pigeon murderer
  • Legacy Fan
  • You knows it.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 11:10:53 pm »

I fucking hope not.
Bring Michael Home. From Madrid.

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 11:23:58 pm »
wasent mourinho a former pe teacher as well ?  ;D

We are thankfully, imo, moving away from the notion that you have to have played football to understand it and be able to coach it.

You don't have to build the coach to drive it after all.

Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 12:03:14 am »

Offline RedVT

• Kemlynite
  • "Nobody fucks with the Jesus"
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 08:40:43 am »
Interesting read... I hope we are able to get him, since I've grudgingly come to face the fact that Mourinho is going to CFC.  Either of those 2 coaches will be class.  I'm defo looking forward to this season.

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 08:44:38 am »
Interesting read... I hope we are able to get him, since I've grudgingly come to face the fact that Mourinho is going to CFC.  Either of those 2 coaches will be class.  I'm defo looking forward to this season.

I'm not, I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that Benitez will sign a new contract with Valencia.

Offline RedVT

• Kemlynite
  • "Nobody fucks with the Jesus"
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 08:54:06 am »
If he does, we're in deep shit.  I really don't think that Curbishly or MON are right for the job.  Benitez did say LFC is one of the big European clubs he would leave Valencia for...I hope he's sick of getting lamps when he asks the board for a sofa...

Offline Big Ig

• His is totally non-existent, you know?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2004, 09:00:18 am »
If he does, we're in deep shit.  I really don't think that Curbishly or MON are right for the job.  Benitez did say LFC is one of the big European clubs he would leave Valencia for...I hope he's sick of getting lamps when he asks the board for a sofa...

This has probably been posted a million times already seeing as it's from yesterday, but I've only just spotted it so I'll post it anyway (SORRY!):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3749931.stm

Worrying that is... very worrying.

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2004, 09:00:43 am »
I hope he's sick of getting lamps when he asks the board for a sofa...

Doesn't look like it'll be an issue with Valencia re-structuring the management to allow Benitez full control of team affairs (including transfers).

Offline Cardie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2004, 09:02:04 am »

This has probably been posted a million times already seeing as it's from yesterday, but I've only just spotted it so I'll post it anyway (SORRY!):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3749931.stm

Worrying that is... very worrying.

Quotes from Benitez though say he has negotiated with Liverpool.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2004, 09:05:31 am »
I imagine its a done deal, really can't see Parry off on his hols otherwise. I imagine they are waiting for the 15 days to be up, Valencia can say they tried their best to keep him rather than the director's policy 'forcing' him out.

But yeah, not too many available coaches of the calibre we need. Certainly not Curbs, he needs to go Spurs or somewhere to show he's got the mettle to handle a bigger club, better players, bigger demand for success etc.
Bill Shankly

77 78 81 84 05 19

Offline Cerbera

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2004, 09:27:15 am »
He sounds like a tough manager but one that wants to work with the board to get the results. If he comes, it seems very likely now, then he could be the man to shake things up and really start to awaken the sleeping giant.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2004, 10:05:46 am »
Anyone who's followed Valencia - How much of Valencia's recent success is down to Cuper and how much down to Benitez? Article says they were at war with themselves but it didn't stop them reaching two european cup finals  :butt What else did Benitez do when he came to the club? Surely they must've been "superbly organised, mentally tough and physically immense" to have reached two european cup finals before hand anyway? What sort of players did they buy (is it right to assume he hasn't had control over WHO he buys?) ?
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2004, 10:49:48 am »
What sort of players did they buy (is it right to assume he hasn't had control over WHO he buys?) ?

I don't know but Valencia aren't a rich club and over the past few years, they had limited transfer funds

Offline Jamie_H

• Anny Roader
  • Champions of Europe 2005
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2004, 11:48:00 am »
Taken from the Valencia website (very good site):

Name:  Rafael Benítez
Short name:  Rafael Benítez
Birth:  16/04/1960
City:  Madrid
Alta:  01/07/2001 
Baja:  - 
MARITAL STATUS : Married, two daughter
ACADEMIC STUDIES :
  • National Football Coach. Title obtained in the XXXII National Course that took place in Albacete (June - July of 1989)
  • Degree in Physical Education by the National Institute of Physical Education (INE) assigned to the Polytechnic University of Madrid, in 1982
WORK EXPERIENCE :
  • Castilla "B" Youth team. Seasons 86/87, 87/88 and 88/89
  • Real Madrid CF Youth team "B". Seasons 89/90 and 90/91
  • Real Madrid CF Sub - 19. Season 90/91,91/92 and 92/93
  • Real Madrid "B" (2nd Division). Season 93/94
  • Real Madrid CF (2nd coach with Vicente del Bosque). Season 93/94
  • Real Madrid CF "B" (2nd Division). Season 94/95
  • Real Valladolid CF (1st Division). Season 95/96
  • CA Osasuna (2nd Division). Season 96/97
  • Extremadura CF (2nd Division). Season 97/98
  • Extremadura CF (1st Division). Season 98/99
  • CD Tenerife (2nd Division). Season 00/01
RECORD :
  • League Champion with Castilla "B". Seasons 86/87 and 88/89
  • Preferente League Champion with Real Madrid CF Youth team.Season 89/90
  • Cup Champion with Real Madrid CF Under-19. Season 90/91
  • League and Cup Champion with Real Madrid CF Under-19. Season 92/93
  • Promotion to 1st Division with Extremadura CF. Season 97/98
  • Promotion to 1st Division with CD Tenerife. Season 00/01
OTHER INFORMATION OF INTEREST :
  • "Soccer" teacher in CAMP of Davis University (USA) in August of 1990.
  •5 times International for Spain University, in the Mexico Universiada in 1979.
  • As a footballer, he played in the lower categories of Real Madrid from the 73/74 season up until the 80/81 season. In 1981 he signed up for AD Parla, where he played in 3rd and 2nd Division B in the 81/82, 82/83, 83/84 and 84/85 seasons. He ended his footballer carrier in Linares CF, playing in 2nd Division B in the 85/86 season.
  •Commentator and analyst in several communication media: Telemadrid (96/97), Eurosport (Eurocopa 2000), Cadena COPE (96/00), MARCA (99/00), El Mundo, FUTVOL.COM, NAVEGALIA.COM
  •Speaker in several universities, congresses, schools and official centres (INEF, CEE, FMF) about topics related to football.